Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Jungle Safaris and Rolly Chair Shenanigans

Hello, all :)

It's been a busy couple of weeks since last I posted in Ye Olde Blogge. I've shipped out my first few orders for Whifferdill (woo-hoooo!!) and we've been busy setting up the new space. I am in love with the new craft room. It's bright and cheerful and there's plenty of space for storage as well as enough work surface with another table added to the mix. Now I have enough room to spread out and make myself dizzy flying around the room in my rolly chair. Fun (albeit somewhat nauseous) times!

This past weekend was a blast - Kev and I met up with friends at the Bull City Burger and Brewery Oktoberfest Saturday night. If you live in or near Durham, you have GOT to go try their burgers. Everything that can possibly be made in-house is. Down to the durn pickles. And their meat and veggies are all locally sourced. And let me tell you, it makes a huge difference. Amazing stuff. Oh, and Kevin says their beer is amazing as well. And he would know. The man is an expert on beer.

Sunday was flipping fabulous as well. Two gorgeous gals and I met up and went on a jungle safari! Well, as close as you can get to a jungle safari in NC's piedmont. Outside of Mebane is a place called the Conservator's Center. And they have cats. Big cats. And some smaller cats. Oh, and two lemurs. And I got to roar at lions per our guide's request for a volunteer to help her get the kitties to do "roll call". Yeah. I roared my head off. And the lions did start up. But then I started laughing at the end of each roar and they were like "What the heck is that? That sounds like some crazy monkey..." So, uh, it wasn't a complete success. But it was definitely a fun experience. The Conservator's Center is absolutely worth checking out.

This week has been pretty quiet. I've been putzing in the craft room and made a new wreath. It started out being a somewhat generic fall wreath with orange and red and yellow felt flowers. But I just wasn't happy with the colors and arrangement. So I tweaked it and it wound up being only orange, copper, and brown - basically pumpkin pie colors. And I freaking love it.

That's really a good illustration of my creative process. Very few times do I actually come out with something that doesn't surprise me somewhat. I like to kind of go with the flow and see what happens. Play it a little fast and loose. Sometimes it works and I wind up with an item that makes me happy. One that has charm and personality. And sometimes it doesn't work. And I tear my hair out and growl at it. Then I'll shut it away where I can't see it, but I know that it's there. Quietly mocking me. Chuckling under its breath. Sometimes I'll hear the faint call of "na-na-na-boo-boo" from inside the closet. But that's okay. Because I know that at some point I'll come back to it, tear out the parts that offend me, re-paint it, re-work it, and mold it into something that makes me happy-to-the-core.

That's right, Ugly Picture Frame. Your time will come. Soon. I'm coming for you.

Yep. I talk smack to my craft items. Don't judge.

Love and hugs,
Ru

No comments:

Post a Comment