Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Indian Summer

Hey all :) It's been a somewhat busy week in the craft studio. I've been experimenting a bit with pendants for the crocheted lace necklaces and completely ruined 2 attempts because I have a tendency to be impatient. I want to look and see and make sure that everything looks like it should. Sigh. You'd think I'd learn on the first mangled one....yeah...not so much with the learning. But the good news is that I hadn't spent 6 hours on them or anything. Chalking this one up to a lesson entitled "Patience is a Virtue". I think I also need to learn the one about "Cleanliness next to Godliness" since the craft room is completely destroyed right now. Utterly ransacked. Totally in shambles. Maybe I'll make an attempt at cleaning it before we settle in to watch Bones on Netflix tonight. Kev and I are addicted to it. We started at the very beginning of the series maybe a month ago (ish?) and we are now in the middle of season 6. It's like crack cocaine. Or something.

I've been spending most of my time making wreaths and crocheted bits and bobbles and I think I'm getting a little tired of those 2 things. Time to break out the sewing machine and the embroidery hoop and get going on pillowcases and throw pillow covers. And maybe toss in some paper crafting. I feel like I'm way behind on the list of items that I'd like to have complete by the end of August and the opening of the shop. But hand-making everything takes quite a bit of time. And I know this, but I still want to see lots of little checkmarks beside all these different items so that I know that I'm ready. So I may or may not be freaking out a little on the inside. And I think that all new business owners are pretty much in a constant state of freak-out. We go around muttering to ourselves about how we gotta go faster and what if no one buys anything and where can I find cheaper materials and how am I going to get all of this done and WHERE DID MY SCISSORS GO??? Okay, that last one is really just me, not all business owners. I guess I'm just going to have to learn to live with the freak-out. I'm sure that eventually it will become background noise that will continue to fade away.

Meanwhile, back in the Land Where People Do Not Digress So Freaking Much (or LWPDNDSFM, as I like to call it), I finished my first felt flower wreath for my Mom. She wanted one of the burlap-wrapped wreaths (from the Burlapulous Line by Whifferdill - thank you Jason Hill for naming it with such an unusual and fun-to-say moniker!) with late-summer-colored flowers. And so I sat down with my massive stack of felt from Prairie Point Junction and thought about late summer. Thunderstorms. Hazy light. Everything looks a little washed out, a little dry around the edges. A bit greyer than the insane color explosion of spring and early summer. Everything gets drowsy and droopy and just holds its breath until the heat finally breaks. I'm digressing again. Long story short, here's the finished product...






I'm proud of this one. Making the felt flowers took quite a bit of time, but it was definitely worth it. Hopefully Mom (and Gran!) will like it! 

Okay. Time to shut it down for the evening and go make some dinner. And then watch 8 episodes of Bones back-to-back because that's how we roll...

Love and hugs!
Ru




No comments:

Post a Comment